Monday, December 10, 2007

Alan Moore is a god

A reclusive, anarchist Warlock of a god, but a god no less.

He is responsible for taking the genre of comics to a whole new place. His characters are never "just superheroes" if they are heroes at all. I just finished The Watchmen which is one of the best novels of all time. Get over your fear of comics and read this - especially before they ruin it as a movie.

He is lyrical and poetic. His stories have layers and depth rare in the genre. Often complex, philosophical and sometimes a bit too deep. Though it's easy to forgive him that when even today so many comics are considered light and guilty pleasures. Alan Moore is proof that the world of comics changed a long time ago, and you were too busy trying to be grown up to realize it.

A few of my favorites by Alan Moore:

Swamp Thing
I never thought in a million years I would read Swamp Thing, but thanks to a little bird here at work, I gave it a shot. I love His Greeness. Alan takes the legend of the Swamp Thing to a whole other place - recreating the entire backstory of Swamp Thing and giving him a depth and soul he had never had before. He literally kills him, dissects him, and gives him a new birth. It's a great example of how Alan Moore can turn even a simple comic about a swamp creature into something much bigger, more disturbing and full of human longing and depravity. Beautiful writing. Go grab them in trade paperback at your local comic shop!



League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Yeah, yeah, you saw the movie. Just like the rest of Moore's awesomeness, it wasn't so awesome once Hollywood got a hold of it. Sure, it had a little eye candy, and a few moments of mindless fun. But get the books and read them. Great, Great Great. A really fun world and just a great adventure to get swept up in.




As for his other stuff: Prometheus might have been a bit heady for me, but I enjoyed the first few issues. I may just pick it up again and approach it with a clean mind. I made the mistake to watch the movie V for Vendettabefore reading the book, but I'm going to read it. I actually liked the movie so I can only assume the book is better. The book is ALWAYS better.

No comments: